Tuesday, August 11, 2009

fiction







Through the course of reappraising all my photos, processing and posting them I've begun to take a new approach to them. Before, I felt like I examined them for details that could tell me something about the moment before or the moment after the photograph and about the real lives of the people pictured. I was looking at the photos formally but also for litteral narrative. For some reason it never occurred to me that I wasn't getting at some essential truth but just taking what I needed from the image in an obviously self-serving way. I wonder if this is the way people process everything, do you look at a situation and pick and choose and recombine to suit yourself?

The new way I've been trying to approach these is by fictionalizing them directly, skipping my previous self-delusion. Putting images together and letting them reference each other.

The newspaper clipping above fell out of a wine making book I bought at an estate sale.

2 comments:

  1. hey, have you ever seen trachtenburg family slideshow? they take found slides and create wonderous lil fictional diddys.

    evcellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just took a look, nice stuff, interesting idea, I might have to try out somethin similar, thanks fer the tip, Elisa!

    eggsalad stuff.

    ReplyDelete